Kate Preston is a freshman majoring in chemical engineering. She chose this major due to her love of chemistry and because subject really intrigued her. Preston would like to work somewhere that pushes to help the environment and encourages sustainability.
Since joining Kansas State, Preston has gotten involved in undergraduate research and the biodiesel initiative.
“Both have helped me learn more about chemical engineering and have connected me to people in my field,” said Preston.
Kansas State has allowed Preston to get involved with her career field right away, while Theta has given her opportunities to make a friends for a lifetime.
“Theta has helped me form a group of friends who support and care for me,” said Preston. “It has connected me with other women in my field of study. I have also learned to push myself to be a leader and stay organized.”
Preston mentioned that a particular Theta friend has impacted her college experience in a positive way.
“Kelli Ward has positively impacted my college experience by studying with me for test and just generally being there for me when I needed her,” said Preston. “She is always someone I can talk to when I am having problems and need some help.”
Along with positive impacts on her college experience, other Theta friends have given Preston her favorite K-State memory.
“My favorite memory so far was my first trip to Manhattan Hill,” said Preston. “It was a Tuesday or Wednesday night fairly early into the first semester. Logan Eilert, Macie Reeb, and I had all been studying at Hale when we decided to leave and get sonic then head to the hill. K-State finally began to feel like home when I started seeing some of these friendships form.”
Here are some fun facts about Kate Preston!
- Kate is from Lenexa, Kansas.
- Her favorite sonic drink is a frozen lemonade!
- She volunteers in her hometown at Happy Bottoms. Happy Bottoms is a location parents can go to and receive free diapers if they cannot afford them on their own.
- Over the summer she hopes to take a few trips to the lake and maybe a road trip to another state.
- Fellow Theta Taylor Duff helped her realize during formal recruitment that Kappa Alpha Theta was her true home away from home!